Congrats to Shaq and Allen Iverson and the Class of 2016, but are there 10 current players that are sure-fire can’t miss Hall of Famers?
I think so.
- Kobe Bryant – I hate this prick but the Hall of Fame itself becomes a joke if a 5 time champion, 18 time all-star doesn’t make the Hall. 25ppg? Please.
- LeBron James – Again, laugh all you want, but 2 rings, and 6 appearances are nothing to sneeze at. The guy’s current numbers are comparable to Larry Legend’s himself and even though he reeks of the type dude that’s gonna stick around till his game starts to stink, there’s still a chance he might get that elusive 3rd Chip.
- Tim Duncan – Best power forward to ever play. 5 rings in 6 appearances and, like Bill Russell, won his first ring with an entirely different cast than his last.
- Steph Curry – I never like to get into personal or individual records when evaluating greatness preferring to stick with rings – which he has one of – but 4 of the top 7 3-point shooting records for a season? That’s Hall by itself.
- Kevin Garnett – These are his “paycheck” years and even Robert Parish had those. People forget Parish got a 4 ring fucking around with Jordan. Bet you did too. The sad thing is, you feel that if KG could stick it out for a few more, he might just get another one with Minnesota.
- Dirk Nowitzki – The reason I always mention that I thought Michigan product Robert “Tractor” Traylor would make a better pro is because it keeps me humble to remind myself how stupid I can be.
- Dwyane Wade – Still has more rings than LeBron and regardless of what anyone says, has been the most important (and best) player in Miami Heat franchise history.
- Tony Parker – Was quietly the best point guard in the league for about a decade. Steph Curry’s emergence hasn’t taken away from the guy. Those 4 rings don’t hurt either.
- Pau Gasol – The League might try to get slick because it really does hate foreigners not named Olajuwon. Still, those two rings should help win any argument and if he ever does anything in Chicago he’s as good as gold.
- Manu Ginobili – Kobe, Wade, then who? Please, quickly, if you can, name a better 2 from his era. You can’t, so stop.
On the fence (and why):
- Chris Bosh – Has 2 rings but needs something as serious as another Conference Finals appearance
- Kevin Durant – Needs a ring
- Russell Westbrook – Needs a ring
- Chris Paul – Needs a ring
- Paul Pierce – Just not likable
- Dwight Howard – Hated
- Tyson Chandler – Needs another Conference Finals run
- Kawhi Leonard – Needs a good post-Duncan run
- Klay Thompson – Needs one more ring
- Anthony Davis – Needs to do something very serious in the post-season, and soon.
Doesn’t look good (and why)
- Carmelo Anthony – 1 Conference Finals appearance in 13 years
- DeMarcus Cousins – Needs to do something team and not just stat oriented
- Derrick Rose – Would probably get injured making his Hall of Fame speech
- John Wall – Starting to look like he’s punching a clock
- LaMarcus Aldridge – Frankly, even a ring might only get him up to Stephen Jackson‘s caliber
I’ve heard he plays in the NBA too.